I have always regarded research into inflammatory bowel diseases as a core component of my work. I am clinical lead for research in gastroenterology at University College London Hospitals, and am always keen to offer patients entry into clinical trials if suitable
I was chair of the UK clinical research network from 2008 to 2013 and now head the UK nati0nal IBD registry which is designed to improve national standards of care through better recording of routine clinical details
I have authored two books and a number of research papers, as detailed below:
- Practical Gastroenterology: ed. Stuart Bloom. Published by Martin Dunitz, 2002. 45 authors (680 pp)
- Oxford Handbook of Gastroenterology and Hepatology: eds. Stuart Bloom, George Webster. Oxford University Press, 2006 (768 pp)
- Adhesion molecules in the Gastrointestinal tract. A thesis for Doctorate of Medicine, Oxford University. Awarded October 1994.
- Bloom SL, Fleming K, Chapman RWC. Adhesion molecule expression in primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cirrhosis. Gut 1995;36(4):604-609
- Bloom SL, Jewell DP, Simmons D. Adhesion Molecules-1 (ICAM-1), ICAM-3 and B7 are not expressed by epithelium in normal or inflamed colon. Clinical and Experimental Immunology 1995;101(1):157-163
- Bloom SL, Fleming K, Chapman RWC, Neuberger J, Hubscher S. Inappropriate expression of blood group antigens in hepatic allografts. Hepatology 1994;19(4):876-881.
- Bloom SL, Heryet A, Fleming K, Chapman RW. Inappropriate expression of blood group antigens on biliary and colonic epithelia in primary sclerosing cholangitis. Gut 1993;34(7):977-983.
- Bloom SL. Mast cells and Eosinophils in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. In: Inflammatory Bowel Disease. 3rd Edition, Edited by RN Allen, MRB Keighley, J Alexander-Williams, VW Fazio, S Hanauer, JM Rhodes
- Bloom SL, Ireland A, Ryley NG, ChapmanRW, Lindsell D. Correlation between hepatic ultrasound and histology. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 1992;4(1):39-42
- Oshitani N, Campbell A, Bloom SL, Kitano A, Kobayashi K, Jewell, DP. Adhesion molecule expression of vascular endothelium and nitroblue tetrazolium reducing activity in human colonic mucosa. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 1995;30:915-920
- Khan, RU, Tong, CYW, Bloom S, Gilmore IT, Toh CH, Bolton-Maggs P, Beeching NJ and Hart, CA. Evaluation of two simplified methods for genotyping hepatitis C virus. Journal of Medical Virology 1997;52(1):35-41.
- Briskin M, Winsor-Hynes D, Shyjan A, Bloom S, Wilson J, McEvoy L, Butcher EC, Kassam N, Mackay CR, Newman W, Ringler DJ. Human mucosal addressin cell adhesion molecule-1 is preferentially expressed in intestinal tract and associated lymphoid tissue. American Journal of Pathology 1997;151(1):97-110.
- Harbord M, Hankin A, Bloom S, Mitchison H. Association between p47phox pseudogenes and inflammatory bowel disease. Blood 2003;101:3337
- Basset C, Holton J, Bazeos A, Vaira D, Bloom S. Are Helicobacter species and enterotoxigenic Bacteroides fragilis involved in inflammatory bowel disease? Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2004; 49(9):1425-32
- Bloom S, Kiilerich S, Lassen MR, Forbes A, Leiper K, Langholz E, Irvine EJ, O’Morain C, Lowson D, Orm S. Low molecular weight heparin (tinzaparin) vs. placebo in the treatment of mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2004;19(8):871-878
- Dhar A, Johnson KS, Novelli MR, Bown SG, Bigio IJ, Lovat LB, Bloom SL. Elastic scattering spectroscopy for the diagnosis of colonic lesions: initial results of a novel optical biopsy technique. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2006;63:257-61
- Marks DJB, Harbord MWN, MacAllister R, Rahman FZ, Young J, Al-Lazikani B, Lees W, Novelli M, Bloom S, Segal AW. Defective acute inflammation in Crohn’s disease: a clinical investigation. Lancet 2006;367:668-678
- Harbord MWN, Marks DJB, Forbes A, Bloom SL, Day RM, Segal AW. Impaired neutrophil chemotaxis in Crohn’s disease relates to reduced production of chemokines and can be augmented by granulocyte-colony stimulating factor. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 2006;24:651-660
- Marks DJB, Rahman FZ, Novelli M, Yu RC, McCartney S, Bloom S, Segal AW. An exuberant inflammatory response to E coli: implications for the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis and pyoderma gangrenosum. Gut 2006;55:1662-1663